For France, see Paris#Eating
For much more, see my Yelp Bookmarks at http://sreeves.yelp.com .
See the San Francisco, CA page.
See the Santa Barbara, CA page.
- Casa Bonita
- 6715 W Colfax Ave. Lakewood. Not the best food in the world, but an amazing experience, with a courtyard, gorilla-suits, and the trademark sopapillas for dessert. I first went here in 1980.
- The Watercourse
- 17th and Emerson. Vegan diner food, excellent, if salty.
- 101 S Jefferson St. Pinball and vegan everything.
- Café del Hildago
- 35 Hypolita St. (pedestrian way). Gelato, salads, panini, coffee. Excellent, maybe crowded; order then sit.
- The Floridian
- 39 Cordova. Freaky fusion, lots of tofu substitutions. Home made pickles.
- Casa Maya
- 17 Hypolita St. (904) 217-3039. Some nice tempeh dishes, like tostadas. Great mexican hot chocolate.
- Riverside Café
- Greek specialties, view of the bay, quiet town.
Note the indian food at some truck stops.
- Golden Egg Pancake House
- Just north of I-90. Country style (large portions, undetectable spice) breakfast fare, espresso, and they put italian soda syrup in my sprite (at my request). 6am-2:30 7 days a week.
- Seeds Cafe
- 2561 53rd Ave. Natural foods cafe with salads, wraps, and smoothies. http://www.seedscafe.com
- vegan unassuming. http://masalaiowacity.com
- Sweet Chili Thai
- 75 Airport Rd. The airport restaurant is Thai. Maine.
- Black Sheep
- 79 Main St. A pretty good bakery and sandwich shop.
- Paris Creperie
- 278 Harvard St. Delicious savory and sweet crepes, tea. http://pariscreperie.com
- 80 Pearl St. Delicious Moroccan fare in a cramped space. Dark and quiet.
- Toscanini's Ice Cream
- 899 Main St. Perhaps the best ice cream in the world. Faddish flavors but also some unique, and longstanding favorites like ginger snap. They seem to include more flavor than any other maker.
- 839 Washington St. Very well-prepared Mediterranean. Belly dancing.
- Sweet Tomatoes Pizza
- Multiple locations. Delicious eponymous sauce.
- Mushy italian "messes" go well with the salad and an aranciata. Many branches in and around Newton.
- Antoine’s Pastry Shop
- 317 Watertown St. Nonantum. Delicious lobster tails, eckel cakes, bread puddings, and pizzelle, among other pastries.
- Bollywood Grill
- 350 Winthrop Ave.
- Lhasa Cafe
- Momos and other Himalayan specialties. Great dal, friendly staff. http://www.lhasacafe.com/
- Pho Paris
- 136 Newbury St. You're on Route 1 and you want soup.
- Udupi Bhavan
- 378 Maple Ave. Unassuming southern India dosai and uthappam, with a delicious thali and avial. 508-459-5099. http://www.theudupi.com/contact-us.html
- Sala Thai
- 4023 Woodland Ave. Far up the hill above town, a friendly quiet place on a busy corner. Cookies from place next door not so hot.
- Maggie's Vegetarian Cafe
- 311 North 8th Street, Lincoln, NE 68508-4605. Open for lunch, cash only. http://www.maggiesvegetarian.com/
- 1601 Q Street, Lincoln, NE. (402) 477-3090. Web site down after April 2010 but before June 2010.
- Ethiopian Restaurant
- 2555 Leavenworth Street, Omaha, NE. (402) 345-0265. Attached grocer sells spices. Highly recommended on Yelp! http://www.yelp.com/biz/ethiopian-restaurant-omaha
- 1202 Howard Street (Old Market district). This sit-down bakery wins most confusing menu, but quality isn't bad. http://www.wheatfieldscatering.com/
- The Friendly Toast
- The Juicery
- Fresh wraps and juices.
- Comet II Drive In & Restaurant
- 217 Parker Ave. Tuesday-Sunday. This food at this place looks good, I would like to try it.
See the Ithaca page.
- Labyrinth Press Company
- 12 E 4th St. I really want to try this place the next time I'm in Jamestown.
- 130 Dolson Ave. Delicious and diverse.
New York City
See separate page New York City.
- 9 Johnson Rd # B, Latham. Specialities from multiple regions of India, some rare dishes. Avial-Yum.
- The Autumn Café
- 244 Main St. Good hippie comfort food.
- Eva's European Sweets
- 1305 Milton Ave, Solvay. (315) 487-2722. Tue-Thu 11 am - 8 pm; Fri 11 am - 9 pm; Sat 12 pm - 9 pm. A Polish restaurant, some vegetarian, highly recommended by Yelpers. http://www.syracuserestaurants.com/base-website.asp?sn=evaseuropeansweets
- Strong Hearts Cafe
- 719 E Genesee St. Vegan cafe, known on Yelp for its sass. Mon 8 am - 6 pm; Tue-Thu 8 am - 12 am; Fri 8 am - 2 am; Sat 10 am - 2 am; Sun 10 am - 12 am. Also at the Marshall Square Mall off M-Street. http://www.strongheartscafe.com/
- Funk'n Waffles
- 727 S Crouse Ave. Ste 8. Specialty waffles in an underground dive in the alley behind M-Street. Buckwheat and vegan and crazier varieties.
- Beaufort Grocery
- 117 Queen St. 252-728-3899. The one place around the beach communities that includes vegetarian items front and center. Sunday brunch; delicatessen; pies made on premises. Closed January and Tuesdays between Labor Day and Memorial Day.
- 114 Middle Lane, behind Clawson's. 252-728-7777. http://aquaexperience.com
- Elmo's Diner
- 9th street. Hip eclectic diner with homemade soy sausage. Also in Carrboro. Often a wait for seating.
- Saffron Indian Cuisine
- 1500 Mill St. A nice buffet.
- Yum Yum Better Ice Cream
- 1219 Spring Garden St. A hole in the UNCG wall.
Thai Chiang Mai has closed after more than a decade of enjoyable food.
- Biscuit Factory
- 2103 Kirkwood St., near Eastchester and Main. A local fast food biscuit joint, with one-size booths for up to four.
- S&T Soda Shoppe
- 85 Hillsboro St. M-Sat 11-7:30. Many flavors of ice cream and sodas, lunch fare, counter, antique drug store furniture. 2010-12-31, using ammonia to clean tables, the only downside.
- Bella Italy
- 107 West Broad Avenue. Very cheap.
- NeoMonde Mediterranean Cafe and Market
- 3817 Beryl Road. Excellent Lebanese pita sandwiches, combo platters, and a grocery.
- Chrissie Hynde's Vegiterranean. http://www.thevegiterranean.com/
- Squeaker's Cafe
- 175 North Main Street. All vegan sandwich, soup, and salad joint with a health-food store. (419) 354-7000
- Myra's Dionysus
- 121 Calhoun St. A most splendiferous restaurant with personal flair, with an amazing list of soups (only about 5 are available any given day). It's like a combination of two of my favorite closed restaurants, Apple Blossom Cafe (Ithaca) and The Starving Chef (Exeter). http://www.myrasrestaurant.com
- 234 Euclid Ave. Salty and special. 216-589-0007. http://noodlecat.com/
- Flaming Ice Cube
- 140 Public Square. Vegan deli and restaurant. http://www.flamingice.com/
- Coffee Station
- 4 W Church. Very friendly, smoothies and pastries. Try the nearby birthplace-of-Thomas-Edison museum.
- Aladdin's Eatery
- Vegetarianist Lebanese, friendly. a chain from NC to OH.
- Ethiopique. http://www.ethiopiques.ca/
- 227 Church Street, Toronto, ON M5B 1Y7. (416) 363-0884.
- Addis Ababa Restaurant http://addisababa.ca
- 1184 Queen Street West, Toronto, ON M6J 1J5. (416) 538-0059 Highly rated food but bland decor.
- Pho Hung
- 200 Bloor Street West, Toronto ON M5S 1T. 416 963-5080. Sometimes voted best vietnamese restaurant in Toronto, but maybe the better word is popular, probably because of the efficient, if impersonal, service, and certainly because of its location across the street from the Royal Ontario Museum. The food was commendable when we went in 2011, but the atmosphere not unlike an airport food court.
- Pizzeria Libretto. http://pizzerialibretto.com/
- 221 Ossington, Toronto, ON. 416-532-8000. Crowded and hipsterish, but pretty good.
- WASS Ethiopian Restaurant http://www.wassethiopianrestaurant.com/
- 207 James Street South, Hamilton, ON. (289) 389-5294. Good food, quiet, dark, and small, underground. ATM across the street (phew!).
See Andy and Erin's guide to absurdly larded dining: http://m.nypost.com/p/entertainment/travel/portland_believe_can_fry_1No3XpTBPSnZexBZ23hXoM
- Cedars Lebanese Restaurant
- 2153 Market St. A varied menu and belly dancing with loud music. Sketchy hookah bar next door.
- Thai Palace
- 3608 Market St. Delicious and fresh, with special dishes not found elsewhere.
- Kay's Italian Restaurant and Pizzeria
- Pennsylvania 435. Every meal comes with sticky buns.
- Raj Mahal
- 2740 West 12th St. Also in Cuyahoga Falls, OH. Balti is a specialty. There are significant coupons on the web site: http://www.rajmahal.us/
- Cherry Alley Cafe
- 21 N 3rd St. Lots of veggie sandwiches and salads.
- Emma's Food For Life
- 11 S. Market St. (570) 374-0178 Not open too late.
- El Sherif's
- Mediterranean buffet. Not yet tried.
- 137 East Palmetto Street. Buffet lunch, plenty of vegetarian fare, like any Indian restaurant. Ironically, the chutneys are not that good. The dal and pakoras are good.
- La Fogata
- 9086 Old Highway Number Six. Don't rely on Google's map of the address; it's 200m east of I-95 on 6. Cheap, friendly, salty, tasty, with a vegetarian section of the menu.
- 155 E. Main St. Burger joint, video games, bathroom, nice service, black bean veggie burger.
A nice little downtown with on-street shady parking. On the state line with TN
- Java J's Cafe
- 501 State St. Vegetarian options; gelato. http://javajscafe.com/
- Burger Bar
- This greasy joint isn't the most sanitary, but it does have Gardenburgers and sweet potato fries.
- Lil Grill
- 621 North Main Street. Hippie joint. First Wednesday nights of the month, all you can eat Indian fare. Monday – CLOSED; Tuesday – Friday, 7am – 9pm; Saturday, 7am – 3pm; Sunday Brunch, 9am – 2pm; Call before traveling, (540) 434-3594. Cash or check only. http://littlegrillcollective.com/
- Downtown, 14 E. Water St. (540) 432-3360. Lots of portobello mushroom sandwiches, good greasy fare. http://www.pennybackers.com/
- Fancy Hill Korean Diner
- 4832 South Lee Highway. Haven't tried it, but it sounds intriguing enough to print.
- 9403 S Congress St. (540) 740-9404. Large variety of Mexican plates.
- Nottaway Restaurant
- 20316 Boydton Plank Road. Route 1 north of town. Cheap homey fare, good veggie soup, grilled cheese, fresh biscuits, and a platter of veggie sides.
- Cafe del Sol
- 50 Featherbed. 540-535-2275. Unique and tasty fare, a bit greasy, a few vegetarian selections like grilled veggie panini and hummus wrap, pizzas. a chain of four. http://www.delsolcafes.com
- Cantina D'Italia
- 242 Millwood Ave. (540) 535-2055. Recommended by Dick and Carol Correnti.
- 2900 Valley Avenue. "Experience India." http://www.sonacuisine.com/